My New Project :) FINAL BLOG INSTALLMENT ADDED

Nieuwe creaties en andere bezienswaardigheden

Moderators: Goos, Woody, Teevee

RatBikerNate
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door RatBikerNate » di jul 21, 2009 2:02 pm

TIME FOR ANOTHER HALF ARSED INSTALLMENT!! PART 4

Better have bit of a a re-cap (for my sake as much as anyone elses !)
Right so we've:

Binned all the useless sh#te
Sorted a good solid Subframe
Filled in the rear wheel
Made and mounted the exhaust
Sorted the handlebars
Fitted a better tank

is that it? have I missed anything?

Hmmmm, well anyway not that much left just bits and bobs and finishing touches.....so lets crack on shall we :)

I'll start off with a few simple bits and bobs, so simple infact that there's no real point doing a build blog for each bit. So I'll stick with a photo and a simple explaination, of course if there's anything you'd like to know more about just let me know :)

Highway Pegs
Very Basic, just took a couple of old pillion pegs and welded them straight onto the frame, essential kit for those long journeys.
Afbeelding

Chainguard
3 bits of old flatbar that I had laying in the garden, the bike had one but I'm sick of the plastic ones breaking so I made something better. As you can see in the first pic the front support leg I made deliberately too long so I could fix the chain oiler to it (chainoiler how-to later).
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

AirBox Repair
Having cut the top off the airbox to allow the tank bar to be fitted I repaired all the holes in it with gaffertape (on special offer at asda). Bike seems happy and hits the powerband just fine.
Afbeelding

Seat
Just a bit of sponge shoved in a binbag and wrapped in gaffertape, and attached to the subframe with gaffertape also.

ALWAYS put the sponge in a plastic bag before taping it up otherwise it'll soak up water (regardless of how good a job tape you did) and you'll get a wet arse for weeks.

(and yes I have a thicker one for long journeys, the thin one I prefer round town for the ride height)
Afbeelding

Stand Stop
Having removed the old exhaust (I assume this was the reason it usually is) the centre
stand came up too high and rubbed on the chain. Quickly sorted with an old bit of studding:
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Plate Holder
Very simple design using some strips of flat steel, you don't need a numberplate light for the MOT so I only need to knock up a bracket. I've had this one for ages and it's served me well.
Afbeelding
Here it is fitted to another bike. A word of warning though, I've found that a plate mounted here will get battered. I've smashed LOADS of plastic ones mounted there so now I just buy a metal one and bend it back into shap instead.
Afbeelding

Rearlight
A basic BS-Stamped LED jobbie, it's very small but incredibly bright, origininally it was fitted to a huge plastic mudguard which I've trimmed right down so I can fit it under the seat.
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Underbar mirror
I don't like over-bar mirrors as they always seem to get in the way when I'm tieing luggage all over the handlebars and when I'm filtering they have a habit of getting twa#ted on transit-van morrors. Hence an underbar mirror was the only way to go, fortunately I had an old superdream mirror and a few lengths of the studding i'd used for the stand stop.

At first glance the amount of studding might seem excessive but proved nessasary to stop the mirror vibrating horribly.
Afbeelding

Front mudguard, and a use for the other half of that sprocket
Once again simplicity and durability dictate the design. A basic flatbar structure is made and hoseclipped securely to the forks:
Afbeelding

Then I added a diagonal support strut to each side
Afbeelding

and a length of aluminium cut from an old roadsign to catch the dirt, I like a huge front mudguard. Ride without a front mudguard and you will get around ten times as soaked, and you will even get drenched when it's not raining just by riding on a wet road.
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Speedo
Every other bike I've owned I've fitted a digital bicycle speedo, so this time I fancied a change, so I pinched the one from My honda Bros and just cable-tied it to the handlebars:
Afbeelding

Battery Box and Wiring Loom

Well with the arse end chopped down so severly I need to re-position the battery and wiring loom. Easy enough:
For the battery I simply made a 3-part cage from some more flat and mounted it to the side of the bike using the bolts that also hold the left hand coil in place:
Afbeelding
And to decrease weight and take up less space I replaced the enormous old wet battery with a smaller Gel one I had left over from a bike I sold:
Afbeelding

Onto the loom.....

Re-positioning a wiring loom sounds like a difficult job, but that depends on the person doing it, I'm a monumentally lazy b#stard so all I did was pack the connectors with Vaseline
Afbeelding

And gaffertaped the whole mess to the side of the bike, sorted :) (and yes it works fine in the rain)
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

CHAIN-OILER MINI HOW TO

I came up with this design one afternoon having rummaged a few bits out of the shed, it seems to work well and has kept my chains working well beyond their estimated lifespan. I've set mine up to use car-oil because I want it to fling, not so much that it gets onto the rear tyre but enough to constantly remove dirt and stop the lube turning into grinding paste on dusty roads in the summer. Of course this does get on the swingarm and drip from the bike when parked but that doesn't bopther me at all.

Right then here's the parts I'll be using:

A 20mm Hole-saw
A vitamin tub
A 20mm compression gland (40p from you local electrical wholesaler)
A home-brew beer syphon tap.
And a 20mm peice of the hard and soft pipes that came with the tap (not shown).

Afbeelding

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the tub.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Into which fits the compression gland:
Afbeelding

Into the gland fit the tap:
Afbeelding

Then fitted a bit of pipe to the end of the tap, heated it with a lighter and squashed it with some pliers, effectively sealing the end. Then poked a hole in the end with a safety pin to let the oil out a drip at a time, the oil rate can be adjusted depending on the size of the pinhole.
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

With the chain oiler constructed I then mounted it on the bike so the end was directly over the chain. Having made this oiler before I designed the chainguard specially so it would hold the oiler, but could easily have improvised something else to hold it.

Sorted, turn on the tap and it drips once every 10 seconds leaving me with a spotless chain and no maintenance (oh and a dirty bike).
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

All it needs now is a nice new paintjob :)
For which I'll be using this:
Afbeelding
'cos it's cheap, hardwearing and sticks pretty well with no surface prep at all (why clean it when you can just paint over the dirt???)

HOPE YOU'VE ENJOYED MY HALF ARSED BLOG :) BIKE PICS AS SOON AS IT STOPS RAINING!!!

RatBikerNate
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door RatBikerNate » di jul 21, 2009 2:23 pm

rADt schreef:Great bike.

In how many weeks have you built this creation?
Glad you like it, and A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR THE POSITIVE COMMENTS I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :)

I think it's taken about 4 weeks in total, but most of the time it has been raining so I could not work on the bike.

All together it's taken about 48 hours.

Papa Bear
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door Papa Bear » di jul 21, 2009 2:25 pm

:shock:

Vleer
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door Vleer » di jul 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Nice report Nate, I like it and even your bike! Great job!
Wem die Scheisse bis zum Hals steht, sollte den Kopf nicht hängen lassen.

Hertog Jan
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door Hertog Jan » di jul 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Fuck OCC, Discovery Channel has to interview you :twisted:
To use a phrase from homeshopping television:
Oh Mike, it's amazing !!
:wink:

redman
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door redman » di jul 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Great,just great.
See you.
Gr Redman
Tsja, dat is mien ok wat.......

der obergefreiter
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door der obergefreiter » di jul 21, 2009 7:44 pm

yep it's fokkin awfull
camperproleet

Teevee
Bestuur Rat
Bestuur Rat

Bericht door Teevee » di jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm

der obergefreiter schreef:yep it's fokkin awfull
It sure is....

I love it :-=
Op de motor, op de motor, twee pond kaas en één ons boter

Redpigeon
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door Redpigeon » di jul 21, 2009 9:36 pm

GREAT :-= :-= :-= :-** :-** :-** :-/ :-/ :-/
gespannfahrer

Woody
Bestuur Rat
Bestuur Rat

Bericht door Woody » wo jul 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Very inspiring job, I really am amazed how you solved the wiring.
Gaffertape really does work wonders althoug I find it too slippery for a seat.
Using an old innertube works very good, your arse is almost glued to the seat.
Looking forward to the pictures after your precision special paint job! :-= :-= :-=
Geen beter seizoen dan het knutselseizoen...totdat er weer gereden gaat worden!

floris
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door floris » wo sep 16, 2009 3:52 pm

That's looking like an amazing ratbike!! :shock:

JPi
Bezoek Rat
Bezoek Rat

Bericht door JPi » wo sep 16, 2009 5:44 pm

hahaha great piece of engineering! 8)

floris
Bezoek Rat